Re: [squid-users] one question+vmstat+squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:57:43 +0200

On Wednesday 04 June 2003 10.22, Sukhjit Singh wrote:

> I have 512MB physical mem and it is just showing 4MB free, its ok

It is showing 219MB free, 4MB unused, which is perfectly fine.

> if you say it is a normal procedure, now the problem is that i have
> PIII 1.7GHz processor and 3 SCSI drives (8GB each) i have put my
> all dial up customers of squid+wccp and there are about 400
> req/min, and i have my own pc also on squid+wccp in order to check
> the performance. ON dialup the customers are not able to open the
> sites where as it is performing alright on my pc.

Sounds like it could be an MTU issue. WCCP is sensitive to MTU issues
and Path MTU discovery does not work between the proxy and client. If
this is the case then your clients will be able to fetch only very
small things, but as soon as any reasonable amount oif data (ca 1-2
KB or more) is to be sent to the clients the TCP connection hangs.

You can try to

a) Disable Path-MTU discovery on the interface towards your clients

b) Configure routing on your Squid proxy with a small MTU for the path
to your clients.

c) Make sure all clients are connected with a MTU of 1500 or more.