[squid-users] DNS Question

From: Jim Shaffer <JimS@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 12:48:00 -0500

Using Squid 2.4.Stable7 as a Proxy and filter

I get this error in my browser (IE 6.1)

> While trying to retrieve the URL:
> <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-020.asp>
> The following error was encountered:
> Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.microsoft.com
> The dnsserver returned:
> No Address records
> This means that:
> The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
> Check if the address is correct.
> Your cache administrator is root <mailto:root>.
>
> Generated Thu, 05 Jun 2003 14:20:45 GMT by
> servername.domain.com (Squid/2.4.STABLE7)

Does Squid recognize the difference between a DNS timeout error vs a bad or
unknown IP address? Obviously Microsoft (even if the evil empire) should be
a site known by DNS servers.

Jim Shaffer, MCP
Network Administrator

This is a manually generated email. This information is intended for the
recipient only and should be considered confidential. If you receive this
email by mistake, please let me know immediately and delete it. Thank you.