Re: [squid-users] need help getting this odd setup working

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 23:50:52 +0200

On Thursday 05 June 2003 18.16, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> the only
> problem with this, however, is that the internal copy of squid is
> trying to do its own dns resolution, which is never going to work
> since the machines on the internal network cannot resolve internet
> addresses. the way the nps boxes do it is the internal proxy asks
> the external proxy for dns info.
>
> how do i get the internal squid server to ask the external squid
> server for dns resolution instead of trying to do it itself?

See the Squid FAQ on using Squid within a firewall.

Note: If you are completely disconneced then for practical reasons it
is recommended to set up a private DNS root inside your network. If
nothing else this will make sure any DNS lookups for external
addresses/names is promptly terminated should they occur (which they
do not need to if Squid is configured correctly).