Re: [squid-users] How to block MSN, Yahoo, ICQ and mIRC

From: <richard.fuser@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:48:57 +1000

Hi,

There are many ways it could be possible, here are a few I played with.

1: use the dst acl and block all the subnets that the login servers for
these servces reside on, this can be quite hard as they can change without
notice.

eg.
acl MSN dst 64.4.13.0/255.255.255.0
http_access deny MSN

2: use the dstdomain to block the login servers, this may only work with
ICQ, AIM as MSN messenger connects via IP I think.

eg.
acl ICQ dstdomain login.icq.com
http_access deny ICQ

3: using the req_mime_type acl is probably the best and is the one we use,
it matches the requested mime type and this works very well.

acl MSN req_mime_type ^application/x-msn-messenger$
http_access deny MSN

This has been dicussed on the list before, seach the archives for more
details.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Richard Fuser