RE: [squid-users] Performance and stupid questions

From: Chaillot Nicolas <nicolas.chaillot.devoteam@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:19:43 +0200

I tried squid on an other box : IBM Xseries 232, 1,13 GHz, 768 Mo Ram,
1 Hard drive (Raid0) for the system
3 Hard drive (Raid0) for the squid cache. Noatime, Reiserfs.
Linux 9 out-of-the-box, no firewall, Kernel 2.4.20, squid build by me with
this options:
--enable-external-acl-helpers=winbind_group \
--enable-cache-digests \
--enable-async-io \
--enable-storeio=diskd,ufs \
--enable-auth=ntlm,basic \
--enable-snmp \
--enable-poll \
--enable-linux-netfilter \
--enable-ssl \
--with-openssl=/usr/kerberos \
--enable-basic-auth-helpers=winbind \
--enable-ntlm-auth-helpers=winbind \
--enable-ntlm-fail-open \
--prefix=/usr \
--exec-prefix=/usr \
--bindir=/usr/sbin \
--sbindir=/usr/sbin \
--sysconfdir=/etc/squid \
--datadir=/usr/share \
--includedir=/usr/include \
--libdir=/usr/lib \
--libexecdir=/usr/lib/squid \
--localstatedir=/var \
--sharedstatedir=/usr/com \
--mandir=/usr/share/man \
--infodir=/usr/share/info

Same configuration as before (see my first post for it).

I still have the same level of performance: after 200 req/sec, same level of
performance.
I/O are not a problem (monitoring this with sar shows me that everything is
normal).
CPU is 100% busy during tests, mainly used by squid process.
Should I consider this as the normal level of performance for this
processor?
I should be able to do some tests on a 2,4 Ghz Xeon processor next week.

Thank you very much, and once again sorry for this kind of questions.

Nicolas Chaillot