Re: [squid-users] Performance and stupid questions

From: Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:42:36 +0200

I'll take Udo into this. When talking to him, he mentioned that our
choice of XFS for the cache was mainly caused by XFS better
performance when writing large amounts of data to disk. Also it seems
that after a lot of creating and deleting files (which happens a lot
in caches I would think), XFS keeps the speed.

> I tried squid on an other box : IBM Xseries 232, 1,13 GHz, 768 Mo Ram,
> 1 Hard drive (Raid0) for the system
> 3 Hard drive (Raid0) for the squid cache. Noatime, Reiserfs.
> Linux 9 out-of-the-box, no firewall, Kernel 2.4.20, squid build by me with
> this options:
> --enable-external-acl-helpers=winbind_group \
> --enable-cache-digests \
> --enable-async-io \
> --enable-storeio=diskd,ufs \
> --enable-auth=ntlm,basic \
> --enable-snmp \
> --enable-poll \
> --enable-linux-netfilter \
> --enable-ssl \
> --with-openssl=/usr/kerberos \
> --enable-basic-auth-helpers=winbind \
> --enable-ntlm-auth-helpers=winbind \
> --enable-ntlm-fail-open \
> --prefix=/usr \
> --exec-prefix=/usr \
> --bindir=/usr/sbin \
> --sbindir=/usr/sbin \
> --sysconfdir=/etc/squid \
> --datadir=/usr/share \
> --includedir=/usr/include \
> --libdir=/usr/lib \
> --libexecdir=/usr/lib/squid \
> --localstatedir=/var \
> --sharedstatedir=/usr/com \
> --mandir=/usr/share/man \
> --infodir=/usr/share/info
>
> Same configuration as before (see my first post for it).
>
> I still have the same level of performance: after 200 req/sec, same
> level of performance. I/O are not a problem (monitoring this with sar
> shows me that everything is normal). CPU is 100% busy during tests,
> mainly used by squid process. Should I consider this as the normal
> level of performance for this processor?

Interesting. I would have expected the disk to be the bottleneck.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (Im Auftrag des Referat V a)   Ralf.Hildebrandt@charite.de
Charite Campus Mitte                            Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155