[squid-users] Opinions on Log Analysis

From: Sam Pointer <sam.pointer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:20:28 +0100

Hello all:

We have been using Squid for some time now to provide HTTP access for our
user population here. We now have a management need to make more sense of
our access.log. Looking at the log analysis pages on squid-cache.org I see
that there are a great number of tools out there for this kind of work.

I know that this is a "piece-of-string" -type question, but I would be
interested in anyone's views on which of the tools are worth looking into
and which ones are just plain not worth bothering with.

The reports generated will be seen by management people rather than anyone
with any technical grasp. Things that would be nice are:

- HTML output
- Some sort of "per user" summary on a daily basis of time spent browsing
the web (I know that this is perhaps a difficult thing to quantify)
- A weekly and monthly summary digest of a user's level of activity
- Graphing is good :)
- The flagging and reporting of dubious site access

If anyone can recommend a tool which handles most of these tasks then I'm
not adverse to filling in the gaps with a bit of Perl; I'm just loathe to
re-invent the wheel from scratch.

Any help if fully appreciated. Of course, if this question has been asked a
million times before then please feel free to tell me to FAQ off :) Finally
I apologise for the large disclaimer at the bottom of this mail. I know that
it is annoying for list members to have to download these things, but
unfortunately I have no choice in the matter.

Again, all help greatly appreciated.

Sam Pointer
UNIX, Security & Network Administration
HPD Software Limited
Tel: + 44 (0) 20 8780 6800
Fax: + 44 (0) 20 8780 680

This email and any attachments are strictly confidential and are intended
solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient you must
not disclose, forward, copy or take any action in reliance on this message
or its attachments. If you have received this email in error please notify
the sender as soon as possible and delete it from your computer systems.
necessarily reflect those of HPD Software Limited or its affiliates.

 At present the integrity of email across the internet cannot be guaranteed
and messages sent via this medium are potentially at risk. All liability
is excluded to the extent permitted by law for any claims arising as a re-
sult of the use of this medium to transmit information by or to
HPD Software Limited or its affiliates.