[squid-users] smb_auth issue ?

From: Mark Fagan <r00t@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:18:59 +0100

Hi all,

I am quite new to this list, however having sifted through many pages of FAQ's
and config docs I am still confused as to if it is possible to acheive my goal.

I am working with squid.2.4.stable1, and am trying to authenticate NT domain
users/groups particularly groups against destination url's.

for example group1 should only access www.cnn.com
            group2 should only access www.inex.ie

I am having much difficulty in acheiving this, and having some pretty basic
authentication issues.

1) smb_auth will only authenticate the (NT) user I initiate the smb_auth
script as, once authenticated I get the usual Internet explorer "we cant find
www.whatever.com" if I then re-type the url I get out fine.

2) If I attempt to authenticate as any other NT user I get the same blank
page, but cannot get out to the Internet. (weird)

I am looking to perform authentication based on NT group and am using webmin
as the interface to acheive this (currently) I also tried manually editing the
squid.conf as well to no avail.

I also attempted communication with the author of smb_auth to no avail.

So my question is:

Can I authenticate particular NT groups based on destination URL with
smb_auth, I cannot find documentation anywhere on hos this is acheived.

The FAQ's @ squid-cach.org indicate a number of other users are asking the
same question but nobody has actually answered the question with a positive
answer.

I beleive there are multiple solutions for NT authentication such as NTLM etc,
however it is not possible for me to recompile of upgrade squid at this time.

I would really appreciate some positive feedback on this issue.

Kind Regards

Mark Fagan