Re: [squid-users] smb_auth issue ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:23:40 +0200

On Saturday 14 June 2003 12.18, Mark Fagan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am quite new to this list, however having sifted through many
> pages of FAQ's and config docs I am still confused as to if it is
> possible to acheive my goal.
>
> I am working with squid.2.4.stable1, and am trying to authenticate
> NT domain users/groups particularly groups against destination
> url's.
>
> for example group1 should only access www.cnn.com
> group2 should only access www.inex.ie
>
> I am having much difficulty in acheiving this, and having some
> pretty basic authentication issues.
>
> 1) smb_auth will only authenticate the (NT) user I initiate the
> smb_auth script as, once authenticated I get the usual Internet
> explorer "we cant find www.whatever.com" if I then re-type the url
> I get out fine.

This is a IE bug. See the Squid FAQ:

> 2) If I attempt to authenticate as any other NT user I get the same
> blank page, but cannot get out to the Internet. (weird)

Have not heard of this symptoms, but it quite likely is the same
bug.,.

> I am looking to perform authentication based on NT group and am
> using webmin as the interface to acheive this (currently) I also
> tried manually editing the squid.conf as well to no avail.

smb_auth does not and can not have group integration.

> Can I authenticate particular NT groups based on destination URL
> with smb_auth, I cannot find documentation anywhere on hos this is
> acheived.

Not with smb_auth. But you can by using the winbind helpers. See the
Squid FAQ entry on how to set up Squid for using winbind.

> I beleive there are multiple solutions for NT authentication such
> as NTLM etc, however it is not possible for me to recompile of
> upgrade squid at this time.

Then for groups you will need to maintain local text files listing the
members of each group, and define a proxy_auth acl per group.

Note: The browser issues discussed above is just that, and not
something Squid can be blaimed for.