Re: [squid-users] 504 Timeout of large dynamically generated files - delay pool problem?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 01:16:20 +0200

On Sunday 15 June 2003 00.15, adam-s@pacbell.net wrote:

> We had the read_timeout at 5minutes for a while but set it back to
> 15minutes (which is 10 minutes longer than the job takes to
> finish). Also from what I understood of read_timeout from the conf
> file, if that had been the issue, then a specific timeout error
> would have been logged whereas we only get:
> Fri Jun 13 12:20:15 2003 300028 192.168.5.4 TCP_MISS/504 1396 POST
> http://external.web.server/A_44000.cfm/QueryFacility.xlc? -
> in the access.log file and nothing in the cache.log.

The access.log does not indicate what type of error it was, only that
there was a timeout (504 Gateway Timeout).

Make sure your read_timeout is really set back to 15 minutes and not
still at 5 minutes in your running Squid. If read_timeout is smaller
than the longest time your server will be processing the request then
Squid will timeout the request. The above access.log line very much
looks like an exact 5 minutes timeout (300028 ms = 5 minutes + 28
ms).

When a request times out the user should receive an error page back
telling that the request timed out, and a TCP_MISS/504 with a time
slightly larger than read_timeout will be logged (more if the server
slowly sends some data and then "becomes busy"), and nothing in
cache.log.