Re: [squid-users] LDAP Auth + Passwd expiry

From: John Blance <John.Blance@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:30:41 +1200

To actually check you need to use the ldap attributes [of the user
object]
logingraceremaining and logingracelimit
when logingraceremaining is less than logingracelimit the password has
expired and the user needs to be redirected to the "Your password has
expired, please change it" page
Be aware though that these two attrbutes only exist if the user password
is set to expire and grace logins is enabled.

Have not yet been required to do this, but there were a couple of old
development projects that sounded like they would provide a good start.
I think [IIRC] that auth_info was one - all though external_auth_acl may
cover requirements now..

I was going to make changes to a ldap auth program to give extra info on
failure e.g OK / ERR / EXPIRED, then do a redirect to a info/change
password page on the EXPIRED result.

I hope this helps....

John Blance
Technical Architect
Canterbury District Health Board
Direct Dial: 03 3378794
john.blance@cdhb.govt.nz
>>> "Justin Hennessy" <jhennessy@mitchamcouncil.sa.gov.au> 06/16/03
12:18 PM >>>
I think what Frank is talking about is "grace" logins (a number of
chances after your password has expired).

Any ideas on how to check for this?

I am running NDS as well with a view to implementing the same system so
I am interested to see if there is a fix.

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 05:54:06PM +0200, Frank Fegert wrote:
> we're using squid with the squid-ldap-auth helper to authenticate
users &
> groups against NDS. The NDS uses password aging with three "goodwill"
> (whats the word in english?) logins after password expiration.

We use basically the same setup. The "goodwill" is called "intruder
lockout" in Novell slang.

> The problem right now is that the squid-auth helper consumes all
"goodwill"
> logins after a password has expired, without informing the user about
> that fact. Thus the next logon to the OS is denied and the user has no

> chance to change his password.
> Is there a way to circumvent this problem?

The authentication cache in Squid distinguishes between positive
authentication (username and password matched) and negative
authentication (username/password mismatch). So the only case that a
user accidentally gets locked out is when he really tries to enter the
same (wrong) password three times. We are running LDAP authentication
against an NDS, too. During normal operation there are no users locked
out.

But maybe you talk about something else.

 Christoph

--
~
~