RE: [squid-users] performant squid.conf example

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:57:24 -0400

The major areas squid.conf can boost performance is in features supported by
Squid. So if you're not going to use ICP, HTCP, or other such items, turn
them off (usually done by setting the port to 0).

You can optimize your acls by ordering them to minimize the number of rules
that have to be processed, but on a modern machine that's splitting hairs.
Modern machines have such a ridiculous excess of CPU cycles (which are used
to process the acls) - the bigger bottlenecks tend to be disk and network
I/O and (to a lesser extent) memory.

Adam

(This was sent to me privately, but I wanted to post it to the list for
reference.)