Re: [squid-users] Re: Squid floods and kills router

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:13:41 +0200

On Friday 20 June 2003 16.19, Andrius Kriučkovas wrote:
> > Which Squid version are you using?
>
> SquidNT 2.5 STABLE 3 - the latest, I could download.

There is an open bug report about issues with delay pools, claiming
that delay pools is not working at all in 2.5.STABLE3 IIRC. I have
not yet had time to evaluate this report. Please check if this is
consistent with what you are seeing on SquidNT, if not open a new
report.

As your router is broken and crashes on this kind of traffic, please
conduct testing of the delay pools feature from another equipment not
using that router.

> I'm not shure about this one, because that router was a rock-solid
> for so long And many different software in both ends have been used
> - so the problem should have arissed long time before that.

Trust me, the router bug should be fixed. Not fixing the router issue
is asking for trouble later.

> It seems, that Squid produces some kind of DoS atack against router
> :) :\

Routers should not have DoS attacks. If they do then the router is
broken and needs to be fixed.

This is kind of the same question if a NT server should bluescreen if
it receives a certain malformed packet from the network. Sure, in a
perfect world it should not receive such packets in the first place,
but it sure should not bluescreen if it does..