Re: [squid-users] Problem with squid Auth

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:43:30 +0200

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 01:40:51PM +0000, Tanja Jankovic wrote:
> I'm running Squid-2.5STABLE1 with the winbind authentication. Browsing
> works fine, but some other applications like RealPlayer (RealOne)
> don't. Another application that doesn't work is MSN Messenger (tested with
> versions 5.0 and 6.0). I setup proxy, username/passwd in Connection Tab,
> but it
> still doesn't work. Access.log contains only one entry:
>
> TCP_DENIED/407 2032 POST
> http://gateway.messenger.hotmail.com/gateway/gateway.dll? - NONE/- text/html
> [...]
> Does anyone have MSN Messenger working properly with proxy authentication?

Nope. It's a common problem at our site. Some applications under Windows
are not capable of doing proxy authentication. E.g. during using the
Windows Update web site from M$ I see quite some 407 errors but not
authentication request on the Windows box.

There are many GPL alternatives to the MSN messenger. I prefer Gaim.

 Christoph

--
~
~