Re: [squid-users] newbie: WARNING cache_mem is larger than total disk cache space!

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:57:15 +0200

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 20.02, Karl Kopper wrote:

> # service squid reload
> 2003/06/24 16:59:58| WARNING cache_mem is larger than total disk
> cache space!
>
> Here's my config:
>
> # squid -v
> Squid Cache: Version 2.4.STABLE6

Upgrading may be a good idea.. especially if you are making a new
Squid setup. The current stable and maintained Squid release is
Squid-2.5.STABLE3.

> # cat /etc/squid/squid.conf|grep ^cache_dir
> cache_dir ufs /usr/local/squid/var/cache 8000 16 256
>
> # cat /etc/squid/squid.conf|grep ^cache_mem
> cache_mem 500 MB

Looks like you should not get the above warning.. and I don't if I use
the exact same configuration (well, a different path to the cache
directory) in Squid-2.5.

But are you absolutely sure you want this huge cache_mem setting? See
the Squid FAQ chapter on memory usage..