Re: [squid-users] dnsserver ignoring -s

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:53:12 +0200

On Friday 27 June 2003 22.41, Liam Reimers wrote:
> Hi Henrik,
>
> Thanks for your comments we did try this. We need to use dnsserver
> because it pays attention to /etc/hosts, and the internal resolver
> does not.

Then you should upgrade your Squid. The current STABLE version (2.5)
reads /etc/hosts without the help of dnsserver.

> To us it seems like either something super obvious that we are
> missing, or a bug. Here is a capture of the problem in action
> (with the juicy bits changed).

dnsserver uses your OS gethostbyname() call. When you specify
nameservers to use it tries to teach your OS to use these instead of
what is specified in /etc/resolv.conf, but this is subject to the
implementation of your OS and only applies to DNS lookups not other
nameservices used by gethostbyname().

If you get the message "-s is not supported on this resolver" in
cache.log or when running dnsserver with a -s argument manually then
your OS is not one where dnsserver knows how to teach the OS what
nameserver to use.

If you do not get this message then there may be some odd aspect of
your OS making it behave different than expected. For example if
nswitch.conf or similar is configured to use another name service
before DNS, or some interaction with your OS resolver library causing
your OS to override or ignore the list of nameservers provided by the
dnsserver helper.

In any event, it is strongly adviced to use the internal DNS client
instead of dnsserver. There really is no valid reasons why one should
compile Squid with --disable-internal-dns today.