RE: [squid-users] Serious probem with transparent caching?

From: <misleb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:41:42 -0500 (CDT)

On 30 Jun, Adam Aube wrote:

>> I've been running a transparent cache using WCCP for a few weeks now. On
>> several occasions I have encountered problems with web site updates not
>> showing up for users. Hitting refresh in the browser doesn't work.
>
> What browser are your clients using? Maybe there's a workaround.

Mostly IE, I pressume.

>> If I have the cache server query the origin server for modification
>> information for every cache request, there will be little advantage to
>> caching. At this point, I am considering turning off the cache.
>
> Even if the cache must query for the modification info, that's probably less
> bandwidth than fully downloading the object each time.

As it is, I only have a 20-30% byte hit ratio (40GB cache), but a 60%
request hit ratio. I'm not really saving much bandwidth. Much of the
advantage is in lower latency. If the cache server has to make an IMS
request for each object, the latency will increase significantly.

>> How have other cache admins dealt with this issue?
>
> You could try turning off transparent caching.

Heh, sure that would solve the problem, but then nothing would be
cached. :-)

-matthew