Re: [squid-users] Solaris 8 running out of filedescriptors

From: Adam <adam-s@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:45:45 -0700

Nicholas.Apostolou wrote:
> What are the recommendations for Solaris 8 (kernel 108528-19),where it is
> running out of file descriptors?
> There is no information specific for Solaris 8 on the FAQ.
> Currently running Squid2.5stable2.

I don't recall exactly where I read it but I am pretty sure you don't want
to do what I 1st did and bump up the current too high - you will just
consume system resources. You can set _max to any number as that doesn't
consume resources until put in use. So what I did was, in the /etc/system
file, the following:
   set rlim_fd_cur=2048
   set rlim_fd_max=4096

Reboot (of course) and then when compiling squid, I *first* do a make
distclean (I lost a lot of time before Henrik reminded me to do that as the
older values didn't get cleared), and then run my own makesquid file. This
way I don't have to recall all the options I use and sets the ulimit's as
defined in the FAQ. So I have something like this in /home/adam/squid, then
cd to squidVERSION, and run ../makesquidconfig

#!/usr/dt/bin/dtksh
# makesquidconfig
if [[ $CACHE_HTTP_PORT != 99 ]]
then
echo " CACHE_HTTP_PORT needs to be set in your profile to port 99, like so:
CACHE_HTTP_PORT=99; export CACHE_HTTP_PORT"
exit
else
pwd=$(pwd)
squidprefix=${pwd##*/}
ulimit -n 2048
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/${squidprefix} --enable-dlmalloc --enable-as
ync-io --enable-storeio="aufs,diskd,ufs" --enable-removal-policies="heap,lru
" --enable-delay-pools --disable-icmp --enable-cachemgr-hostname=mysquid --e
nable-snmp --disable-ident-lookups --with-pthreads --enable-err-languages="E
nglish Spanish"
fi

> Also what happens when you run out of DNS server processors?
> This will go to 32, currently have 25 DNS processors, and I still have
more
> users to come on this host.

From what I've understood (Henrik's many posts) you probably shouldn't be
compiling in dnsserver - just use your system's default DNS (i.e. I think
dnsserver is deprecated).

hth,

Adam