RE: [squid-users] HOWTO get working NTLM in 2.5.3?

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 15:51:55 -0400

> Actually you are right I need this to get to some intranet sites.

These are sites on YOUR intranet? Then you don't need to use Squid.

> But anyway it seems to me that all the work with getting squid working was
a waste of time

Not necessarily - use the Squid setup to cache Internet sites. Most browsers
can be configured to not use the proxy for certain sites. Put your intranet
sites in this list, then the clients will use the proxy just for the
Internet.

> BTW: In the src dir I have the following files...but don't know how to
install.

When you run the configure script, there are options you need to pass to it
in order for Squid to compile and install the auth helpers. The options of
interest here are:

--enable-auth="basic,ntlm" --enable-basic-auth-helpers="winbind" --enable-nt
lm-auth-helpers="winbind" --enable-ntlm-fail-open

This will turn on the Winbind basic and NTLM auth helpers, and enable NTLM
failover. The winbind helpers require Samba (installed from source), but I
think they are, overall, the best helpers to use for integrating with an NT
domain.

> I must have not understood what Collins was writing as an answer on some
thread saying that the 2.5 version can handle this.

I don't know which thread that might be, but I don't believe that Squid
supports passing the hash through the proxy to a server it is fetching data
from.

Adam

---