RE: [squid-users] How to fix active page time-outs? PLEASE HELP

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:42:58 -0400

>Okay, here are my new settings:
>
>half_closed_clients on
>request_timeout 10 minutes
>persistent_request_timeout 5 minutes
>
>I opened up a Yahoo account to test. It seems the connection does stay
>open up to 5 minutes (Better then before), then dies. So, the answer
>would be to up the persistent_request_timeout to something like 8 hours
>to allow workers to keep windows open all day, like M$ Proxy. Is there
>any drawbacks in speed or resources in doing so?

Looks like you're on the right track. You could set it to 8 hours,
but I think a better idea would be to set it to something more reasonable
(like 30 minutes), then explain to your users potential problems
with keeping the window inactive that long:

1) The webserver might time out the connection
2) They won't find out if they have new messages
3) Security risks of leaving the browser logged in all day
   - Someone else reading their email
   - Someone else sending email in their name
   - Someone else changing the password on them

Other than the fact that it will tie up Squid FDs, I don't see any
issues with letting Squid keep the connection open all day (other
than those listed above, which aren't Squid issues).

Adam