RE: [squid-users] question on capabilities of squid

From: Mark A Lewis <mark@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 23:06:26 -0500

Tracking "hours using the internet" is basically impossible. The problem is
that by nature HTTP isn't session oriented. They request a page and they are
done. You can get a very rough idea based on the timing of requests, but
nothing precise enough to enforce policy with.

What they mean by it is the management wants a pretty report saying how many
hours each of their employees used the internet.

<RANT>These are the same kinds of managers that want to block/ban instant
messaging but don't say a word if someone is constantly on the phone.
Instant messaging is VASTLY more efficient at casual communications. You
don't have to answer/acknowledge it right then, it is generally silent,
nobody else has to answer if you aren't there. Basically managers like this
are technophobes. IMO their money would be better spent hiring quality
people with a better work ethic rather than finding every way possible to
track what their people are doing.</RANT>