[squid-users] Problems when DNS queries timeout

From: <Tony.Oger@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 17:31:13 +0200

Hi,

I run a config with 2 load-balanced(LVS) Squid Cache Proxy Server.
Everything is working well, excepting when our Internet Line is Down.
Indeed, it seems to be normal that it cannot proxy any web site when
internet line is down, and it s normal, but i have internal / private web
site
that need to be accessible even when internet line is down. And i always
believed it would works naturally if i use /etc/hosts file and its
directive in squid.

To do this, i have set up in /etc/hosts file all internal web server
entries hostname & fqd, with the Private IP associated to those webservers.
eg
172.16.2.10 applis.toto.com

when we ask the proxy for applis.toto.com (when internet line is down and
then dns query unavailable) it doesn't work as if it was always doing DNS
queries
although it should look up first my /etc/hosts file to get the IP.

What i do not understand exactly is that squid works with /etc/hosts file
lookups, because when i change entries in this file, after a squid restart,
the changes are applied. The only troubles and one of the main for our
production, is when our internet line is down or when there is any problem
to connect to interneT.

I run a redhat 8.0 with squid2.5stable1 and do not use
--disable-internal-dns in the compilation phase. Do i need this option ? It
is noticed in the documentation that hosts_file directive in squid.conf
does not need this option , and works in 2.5stable1 version.

PS: Do not think it come from this special case, but the webservers i m
trying to connect runs on the same machine as the squid server.
      -> on server1/IP1
            /etc/hosts : IP1 applis.toto.com
      -> on server2/IP2
            /etc/hosts : IP2 applis.toto.com
      Those 2 webservers acts as reverse proxy (apache + mod_rewrite +
mod_proxy) for internal webservices.
       Every apache configuration use internal/private IP

Any help would be appreciated.
Tony

About the DEVOTEAM GROUP

Devoteam is a leading European IT Consulting Group. We help our customers
build corporate results from innovative information technology solutions.
The group recorded 2002 turnover of 136 Meuros with 1700 employees in 7
european countries (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Spain, Netherlands, UK).
Listed on Euronext Nouveau Marche since October 28, 1999 (Euroclear 7379)
Member of Euronext Paris index: Nexteconomy, IT CAC 50, SBF 250.
Web site : http://www.devoteam.com