Re: [squid-users] Load balancing on single machine

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 10:11:27 +0200

Dusan Djordjevic wrote:

> Monday 07 July 2003 10:56, Marc Elsen:
> > > I plan to install few instances of Squid on one multiprocessor box
> > > and balance load between them. I plan to use LinuxVirtualServer
> > > for it. Do someone have that kind of solution ? What load
> > > balancing you suggest ? Any other recommendation ?
> > Do you have an idea of the sustained http reqs/sec , your squid
> > has to deal with ?
>
> Yes. I need specific non-caching proxy. There are 3000-5000 requests per
> second. Currently I have one 4CPU box i would like to deploy.

 Hm, I think I read that squid can give you a max. of about 300
reqs/sec.
 As stated before on the list squid on itself can not make
 use of more then one cpu.

 So I think in a virtual server setup, you may be better off with 4
 separate boxes (probably), I think it would give you more
 flexibility and squid service uptime, if one box is down,
 for instance.

 M.