Re: [squid-users] Improve performance in squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 07 Jul 2003 18:05:55 +0200

mån 2003-07-07 klockan 16.19 skrev Adaíl Oliveira:
> Hi,
> I have a Dell Server with 4 GB ram + intel III 1
> GHz dual processor machine.I have a cache dir of 17 Gb for squid. Any
> suggestions how to
> improve performance in squid?

Without knowing what is your bottleneck we can only guess. Using some
standard systems monitoring tools to get a feeling of what may be your
bottleneck is recommended (sar/vmstat/iostat etc).

But as you did not mention what disks you are using or what kind of
cache_dir you have I would suspect your Squid becomes I/O bound. A
standard install of Squid on a system not designed for running Squid is
good for about 30 requests/s before it becomes I/O bound.. (huge amounts
of memory and fast drives help a bit, but is not a cure).

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before