Re: [squid-users] How does squid actually work?

From: Peter Lustig <peter_lustig@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 20:44:33 +0200

Richard Sumilang wrote:

> My idea of how squid works is when you visit a website for the first
> time (google.com) it will download all the images and html code into
> cache and when you go back to the site in the future it will check if
> it has been modified and if since last time you loaded it and if so
> then load then refresh the cache when the newer copy else load the
> version in the cache. Is this correct? Perhaps there is some
> documentation I don't see with how it works?
>
> Thanks
> - Richard S.

I guess this is how all caching proxies work. I did a presentation today
on this topic to get my exam and the examiners asked me exact this
question. I answered the same way you wrote and they said it was right.
Looking into "Web Caching" by Duane Wessels (O'Reilly) shows roughly the
same definition.

HTH

Greetings
Peter Lustig