Re: [squid-users] getting dhcpd client-hostname (or other name) in access log

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 01:02:28 +0200

On Monday 07 July 2003 21.09, Nick Bartos wrote:

> I am looking into writing some sort of plugin/mod that will query
> dhcpd and get the client-hostname for an ip address and somehow
> insert that into the log.

You can't query DHCP who an IP address belongs to using standard
protocols, but real DHCP servers supports automatic DNS updates these
days to keep DNS data in synch with DHCP updates..

There is also the option (for Windows netowrks) to use Microsoft DNS
with a WINS fallback which works to some level..

However, if you find a way to query the user name (including looking
direclty into the dhcpd database of IP addresses) or equivalent based
on the source IP address then you can easily plug this into Squid via
an external acl returning the information as user name (see
external_acl_type).