Re: [squid-users] filtering java applets

From: Neil A. Hillard <hillardn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:08:31 +0100 (BST)

Bernie,

> I'd like to use Squid for filtering java applets.
>
> Any idea how to realise it?
>
> Yes, Squid is a proxy cache, not a police man, but maybe someone knows
> an add-on or an http proxy specialized for java applet filtering could
> be contacted upwards.
One way of achieving this is to use Trusted Information Systems' Firewall
Toolkit (FWTK) - it's rather old but does the job !!!

For information on downloading the toolkit, etc. see:

http://www.fwtk.org/fwtk/download/downloading.html#1.1

You will need to ensure that you check through the list of patches and
definitely install this one (otherwise you WILL encounter the javascript
quoting bug):

http://www.fwtk.org/fwtk/patches/patches.html#1.1

You will then need to set the http-gw as squid's parent and tell the
http-gw what to filter - javascript / java / activeX.

You will have to add something similar to the following to the
netperm-table file:

http-gw: permit-hosts 127.0.0.1 -nojava -noactivex

We are successfully using this to block both activeX and java applets.
Any sites that we trust go into squid's always_direct allow list.

Hope this helps.

                                Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    hillardn@whl.co.uk