[squid-users] Problems accessing certain webmail sites with 2.5 STABLE1

From: Simon Rae <simon.rae@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:39:38 +0100

Hi all,

We currently use Squid 2.5 STABLE1 running on Red Hat Linux 7 with a pretty
much
default squid.conf. A number of our users access their Yahoo and Hotmail
accounts from the office and since we started using Squid, they receive
errors like the following once they are logged into the site:

>ERROR
>The requested URL could not be retrieved

-----

>While trying to retrieve the URL: /ym/ShowFolder?rb=Inbox&reset=1&YY=72315
>
>The following error was encountered:
>
>Invalid URL
>Some aspect of the requested URL is incorrect. Possible problems:
>
>Missing or incorrect access protocol (should be `http://'' or similar)
>Missing hostname
>Illegal double-escape in the URL-Path
>Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed

Squid appears to be chopping off the start of the URL

I've added the following lines to the squid.conf as suggested elsewhere but
to no avail.

>hierarchy_stoplist hotmail.com
>hierarchy_stoplist yahoo.com
>hierarchy_stoplist msn.com

as well as:

>acl hotmail dstdomain .hotmail.com
>always_direct allow hotmail
>acl yahoo dstdomain .yahoo.com
>always_direct allow yahoo
>acl msn dstdomain .msn.com
>always_direct allow msn

The strange thing is that very occasionally, it works OK. Any ideas??

Many thanks,

Si