Re: [squid-users] Problems accessing certain webmail sites with 2.5 STABLE1

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:05:33 +0200

Simon Rae wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We currently use Squid 2.5 STABLE1 running on Red Hat Linux 7 with a pretty
> much
> default squid.conf. A number of our users access their Yahoo and Hotmail
> accounts from the office and since we started using Squid, they receive
> errors like the following once they are logged into the site:
>
> >ERROR
> >The requested URL could not be retrieved

> -----
> >
> >While trying to retrieve the URL: /ym/ShowFolder?rb=Inbox&reset=1&YY=72315
> >
> >The following error was encountered:
> >
> >Invalid URL
> >Some aspect of the requested URL is incorrect. Possible problems:
> >
> >Missing or incorrect access protocol (should be `http://'' or similar)
> >Missing hostname
> >Illegal double-escape in the URL-Path
> >Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed
>
> Squid appears to be chopping off the start of the URL
>
> I've added the following lines to the squid.conf as suggested elsewhere but
> to no avail.
>
> >hierarchy_stoplist hotmail.com
> >hierarchy_stoplist yahoo.com
> >hierarchy_stoplist msn.com
>
> as well as:
>
> >acl hotmail dstdomain .hotmail.com
> >always_direct allow hotmail
> >acl yahoo dstdomain .yahoo.com
> >always_direct allow yahoo
> >acl msn dstdomain .msn.com
> >always_direct allow msn
>
> The strange thing is that very occasionally, it works OK. Any ideas??
>
> Many thanks,

  - We have no problems using hotmail,for years, now using squid 2.5S3
(curr).
on Redhat 6.2

  Some issues perhaps :

  + The directives mentioned are unrelated to your problem,unless
you are using parent caches and or siblings.

  + Are you using transp. proxying ?

  + Is this problem related to a particular browser type and or version
or not ,or does the problem occur in several browser types
(netscape, ie, mozilla, ...) ?

--
 'Love is truth without any future.
 (M.E. 1997)