Re: [squid-users] Intermittent Cache DNS problem

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:46:22 +0200

> > I am using Squid from within Smoothwall. Lately, (2 to 3 times a day) I get the following error:
> >
> > "The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL"
> >
> > I resolve it by restarting the firewall. Is there a better way?
>
> That depends , you are leaving many parameters unspecified :
>
> - Which version of squid are you using ?
> 2.4.Stable7
> - On which platform/os/version ?
> Kernel 2.2.23 installed with Smoothwall 1.0
> - How is your DNS setup, are you using internal or external DNS ? External DNS from my ISP - very stable, sometimes my link to them is slow

 Ok, you mean you are using the dns servers from your isp , but you are
using
 squid's internal dns.

> - Which are your DNS servers ?
> ns0,ns1.acn.gr
> - Are they working reliable ?
> See above
> - Any DNS errors of squid before or during normal operation in
> cache.log ? Nope
>
> - Use DNS stats in squid's cachemgr to observer potention problems
> (DNS request queues )
> Could u please elaborate a bit on this?

   cachemgr provides access to various stat's presented by the squid
cache.
   Install 'cachemgr' in the cgi-bin directory of an Intranet webserver
   you have access too, and access/use it accordingly.
   See squid.conf.default concerning protecting cachemgr's usage and
   access control.

   On the overall upgrading to SQUID 2.5 (S3) would be recommended,
although
   it is not sure that this will solve this particular problem.

   M.