Re: [squid-users] avoiding DNS lookups for some hosts

From: Brett Lymn <blymn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:31:45 +0930

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 01:27:56PM +0100, Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. (Hons) G8TIC wrote:

> Put your host names in /etc/hosts and check that you have order
> hosts,bind in /etc/resolv.conf.

I should have mentioned that I did that already and that works but it
is hardly a scalable or safe solution as I would have to track any and
all changes.

> If that doesn't work then put up
> a DNS server on the same machine as squid and arrange it to
> be authorative for the intranet hosts (ie. appropriate master zone
> files) and a caching DNS resolver for everything else.

Hmmmmm that would work but, again, is not very neat to me. I may have
to set up a caching name server but I was hoping for some squid config
that would do the job...

--
Brett Lymn