Re: [squid-users] hotmail cannot login

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 15 Jul 2003 14:30:50 +0200

tis 2003-07-15 klockan 13.32 skrev babar haq:
> yes it works if we set the proxy in the browser

Good, then we know that your Squid setup, basic networking, browser etc
is not at fault.

What is most likely the cause to your problem is the interception of
port 80 via the proxy, causing http(80) to use another source address
than https(443).

The best way around this is to reconfigure the browsers to use a proxy,
preferably via a proxy.pac script as primary method so you can change
the settings later without having to modify each browser configuration
in the future..

The second method is to use NAT to make sure that https(443) requests
uses the same source IP address as http(80) requests intercepted and
redirected to the proxy. If the proxy is running on your gateway then
this is no more than to insert a source-NAT rule on the gateway,
masquerading https(443). It should be noted that this will hide the
clients IP address so you better use logging in the firewall/nat rules
to allow you to track abuse

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before