RE: [squid-users] Transperent Proxy

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:11:29 -0400

> Presently I get access log only of those clients where
> I have changed proxy settings. It is not possible to
> go to all machines and change the same. I thing I can
> use transperent proxy for some.

Transparent proxying is a hack that breaks the HTTP spec
and can cause all sorts of problems. You won't be able
to use proxy authentication, browsers (particularly IE)
won't work right, etc.

The archive has a large amount of info not onlt on why
transparent proxying is such a hack, but also what it
breaks.

I would recommend you setup an autoconfiguration script
instead - see Squid FAQ 5 for more info.

Adam

---