Re: [squid-users] Running squid -k reconfigure frequently

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 19 Jul 2003 14:44:49 +1000

On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 14:31, Steve Cody wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to know if there is a negative impact on a system, or on Squid,
> if the squid -k reconfigure command is ran at a frequent interval. For
> example, I would like to run it about every 2 minutes to make user changes
> take effect rapidly.
>
> Is that going to be a problem? If so, is there a better interval to use, or
> a better way to make user changes take effect? I'm using user authentication
> and the changes I'm talking about are user creation, enabling, disabling, and
> deleting. The changes don't take effect until the squid -k reconfigure
> command is ran.

Well, this will negatively impact squid. There is a slight delay in all
requests every time reconfigure is run.

If you are using file-based back end authenticators, then you would be
best served by switching to a different backend authenticator - i.e. yp,
ldap, etc which will dynamically notice new users and the like. Squid
itself will notice such alterations when the backend helper does (modulo
it's caching, which can be tuned in squid.conf).

Cheers,
Rob