RE: [squid-users] Running squid -k reconfigure frequently

From: Jay Turner <jturner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:03:05 +0800

I have been running Squid versions 2.4 STABLE6 - 2.5 STABLE2 and I have a
system that also uses reconfigure frequently to update blocking lists
automatically for squidGuard.

I generally use a 5 minute interval scheduled in cron but I use a token file
that is checked for before I issue a reconfigure. That is, reconfigure is
only called if changes have been made (which is infrequent, but could occur
at any time). I have found this system to work quite well for our systems.
During testing, I have even gone down to once a minute, but again,
reconfigure will only be triggered if it is required.

There is a slight disruption to service during a reconfigure, but it is
negligible and generally unnoticeable by end-users in my experience.

Regards
Jay