RE: [squid-users] Compressing HTML pages before sending to client

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 21 Jul 2003 19:34:00 +1000

Oops, seem to have deleted the first post in the thread...

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 13:03, Tony Melia (DMS) wrote:
> Sounds good, but I think it would make more sense to compress the file
> before committing it to disk at the caching level so as to compress the
> cache.

No. 3.0 is in the release process now, 3.1 at the earliest will be next
year.

> Is there any other proxy (and that can me sent to me
> directly) that do offer this feature ?

Not that I'm aware of, although apache mod_gzip + mod_proxy may do this.

> It really can save a lot of bandwidth and time for
> dial-up users so please consider adding this as soon
> as possible.

It's been implemented before in the TE branch on devel.squid-cache.org
by Patrick McManus, and then enhanced by me to support proxy-proxy
compression as well. However, severe logic problems prevented
stabilisation of this feature in the 2.x codebase. Thats why it's slated
for a 3.x release.

If you will find it valuable, you might consider sponsoring (alone or as
a group of interested folk) a squid developer to implement it for 3.x.
I'd be happy to discuss this with you..

Cheers,
Rob
(Squid developer)