Re: [squid-users] Squid auto-dial

From: Dieter Bloms <dieter@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:01:33 +0200

Hi Mark,

On Tue, Jul 22, Creamer, Mark wrote:

> I have a new Squid 2.5 installation running on a Red Hat 9.0 box in a small LAN. The connection to the
> Internet is dial-up. I would like to configure Squid to automatically dial-up as needed so the client
> PCs don't have to do anything except open their browsers. I would also like Squid to disconnect after
> x minutes. I can't find documentation on this. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

for analog modems you have to use the diald daemon.
For isdn you can use ipppd.

These daemons trigger the dial to your provider and hang up the
connection after a configureable timeout.

Keep in eye the dialups, because the dnsserver triggers many dialup
connections, if it is not configured correctly.

--
Gruß
  Dieter