Re: [squid-users] Hardware specs

From: Jason Parlevliet <jase@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:49:26 +1000

On Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003, at 01:56 Australia/Melbourne, glen hyland
wrote:

> since the faq specs are from 98, it seems a little
> outdated. So I am unsure if this is alright. Would
> these specs be good for a squid box. Pent 4 2.3GB, 1GB
> memory, 2 100GB IDE drives(in a raid config), 3
> NICs(will also be running a firewall on the same box
> with a DMZ). The box will have to handle 200+ users in
> a corporate environment.

IIRC Squid prefers non raided drives - if you just have two drives it
handles the many read/write ops better.

> Does this sound like it will handle the traffic?

Oh yeah. Our old proxy is a P166 w/256M, and 3x4gig drives, no raid,
single 100Mb network. This is servicing a couple hundred staff, as
well as about 800 student lab machines. No auth or complicated rules,
but it is running Squidguard. The poor thing thrashes and doesn't run
superefficiently, but it's quite bearable and did the job as a live
proof of concept - noticably slower than direct connection, but not
painfully slow.

HTH
Jase
> --
Jason Parlevliet - Technical Services Coordinator
Faculty of Art Design and Communication
RMIT University
Ph: 9925 3808
Ave! Bossa nova, similis bossa seneca!