[squid-users] Is there a delay-pool FAQ someplace

From: Josh Kuperman <josh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:40:55 -0400

I've been looking through the posts and documentation on Delay
Pools. I suspect I've missed a few important examples and notes. I
know very similar questions have been asked before. The following
scenarios seem to be the most common uses - but I'm still not sure how
I would implement them. All the questions are either how do I
distribute my bandwidth among groups of machines, or how do I limit
the amount of bandwidth for any destination, web site, protocol? What
I really need are examples with the information to calculate their
effect. [I started running webalizer against my current squid over the
last few months - and while I doubt I have webalizer configured
correctly my monthly throughput is exceeding what I can handle)

Feel free to RTFM me, but include links or at least search terms so I
can gather up the answers I missed from the archives. (I tend to use
the one at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=squid-users&r=1&w=2 so if
you could check a search or link on that archive it would be most
helpful, though I'm sure there are other places as well.)

Lets say there are three groups on three subnets:

Research on 192.168.2.0/24
Marketing on 192.168.3.0/24
Administration on 192.168.1.0/24

Scenario One: insuring an even distribution of available
bandwidth. Let's say I have a 1Mbps interent connection and I know I
need 100kbps for external connection, email, web server,etc on my
network. That leaves 300kbps for each of the tree groups.Can I enforce
that with delay pools.

Scenario Two: insuring a hierarchical preference so the following
types of documents are treated as more important:

1. Text, html, pdf,
2. graphics.
3. audio files
4. video files
5. anything being streamed.

Nothing should be prevented per se, but the simpler and older basic
web services should always have a good response, while streaming video
and any bandwidth hogs I know about should be limited.

Scenario three: Keeping available bandwidth proportionate. Say
Marketing sub net has 10 machines. First, how can I make sure that the same
percent of the Marketing groups bandwidth is available to each
machine. Second, is there a way to keep it proportionate but not count
machines when they aren't being used.

Scenario four: Limit bandwidth based on the online service. For
example say you know a lot of people will be using Aol Instant
Messenger, which is fine from time to time. But as it is a text based
protocol you know that should never really take any bandwidth and you
know you can restrain it quite a bit before you render it
unusable. How would you do that.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us