Re: [squid-users] Hardware specs

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 23 Jul 2003 20:30:27 +0200

ons 2003-07-23 klockan 19.48 skrev Paul.Fiero@ci.austin.tx.us:
> I have heard that it would be preferrable to set up the cache storage area
> on a RAID 5 set using high speed ultra SCSI drives and a caching
> controller. Does this sound right?

The exact opposite.

Squid cache workload is THE worst case scenario for a RAID5 system. It
is hard to find any worse real life workload for RAID5 than Squid cache.

If you want to raid your cache then use mirroring, not RAID5. If you are
today considering 3 drives RAID5 then I would recommend considering 2+2
drives (4 drives) in mirror setup in two separate mirrors (no
concat/striping).

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before