Re: [squid-users] LDAP and automatic login

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:23:24 +0200

On Thursday 24 July 2003 20.11, MaCa ! wrote:

> I need to authenticate clients with LDAP, but I need Squid to
> change credentials with IE, for authenticate the user/pass that the
> user typed when logged in to windows.
> I don't want IE to display a popup windows for authentication with
> squid. Any way to do this ?

There may exists plugins to MSIE which automates the login process,
storing the login+password in the users account.

All Squid wants is that somehow the browser sends the correct
login+password. How the browser gets this information from the user
Squid does not care about (i.e. it may be a dialog box, or the
information may be kept securely on file, Squid does not care).

> if this is not possible:
> Is there any way to modify ntlm_auth module to get user/pass that
> IE give with ntlm, and ask to an ldap server ?

There is no password exchanged in NTLM authentication, only a one-way
one-time hash which can be verified by the NT domain controller,
verifying that the user knows his password, nothing more.