Re: [squid-users] Squid code/identd query

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:18:31 +0200

On Thursday 24 July 2003 22.08, Chris Wilcox wrote:
> Not sure if this is possible, but is there anywhere within the
> squid code that defines which part of the identd request is used to
> allow the username ACL capability of squid? I presume this must
> exist somewhere?

There is the ident acl..

> If I (can!) alter this to instead use the hostname response from
> identd then I have the ability to control Internet access by PC
> hostname.

ident responses does not give the hostname.. only operating system
type and user name. (RFC1413)

if you make the ident servers report hostname instead of logged in
username then Squid will happily use this as the ident of the user.

> So, say I then use SquidGuard aswell to filter the
> content, can I get squid to pass the correct part of the identd
> response (ie the username) to squidguard?

If you use ident then the reported ident of the user is sent to
redirector helpers in the ident column. The same applies to
authenticaiton.