[squid-users] slow DNS resolving

From: Zycha <zycha@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:10:22 +0300

Hi,

I have Squid Cache: Version 2.5.STABLE3.
The problem is that it slow resolves addresses on peak times. Usually it says "The following error
was encountered: Unable to determine IP address from host name for ..
The dnsserver returned: No Address records"
The cache.log file is filled with messages: "ipcacheParse: No Address records"
The cachemgr.cgi util shows:

Internal DNS Statistics:

The Queue:
                       DELAY SINCE
  ID SIZE SENDS FIRST SEND LAST SEND
------ ---- ----- ---------- ---------
0x0809 36 1 9.534 9.534
0x0808 36 1 9.534 9.534
0x0807 36 1 9.555 9.555
0x0805 39 1 10.119 10.119
0x0803 39 1 10.121 10.121

Nameservers:
IP ADDRESS # QUERIES # REPLIES
--------------- --------- ---------
10.2.100.2 27603 27600
10.2.100.3 1516 1516

Rcode Matrix:
RCODE ATTEMPT1 ATTEMPT2 ATTEMPT3
    0 331306 7090 220
    1 0 0 0
    2 7834 531 307
    3 113288 213 4
    4 0 0 0
    5 0 0 0

After several "refreshs" the page is showed.
But if I use browser without proxy enable in IE- pages are showed quickly. The client and proxy server use the same DNS servers.
What about option to recompile squid with "--disable-internal-dns" and increase "dns_children" ?
I've noticed that problem usually occurs with sites like google, yahoo.