Re: [squid-users] slow DNS resolving

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:24:23 +0200

Zycha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Squid Cache: Version 2.5.STABLE3.
> The problem is that it slow resolves addresses on peak times. Usually it says "The following error
> was encountered: Unable to determine IP address from host name for ..
> The dnsserver returned: No Address records"
> The cache.log file is filled with messages: "ipcacheParse: No Address records"
> The cachemgr.cgi util shows:
>
> Internal DNS Statistics:
>
> The Queue:
> DELAY SINCE
> ID SIZE SENDS FIRST SEND LAST SEND
> ------ ---- ----- ---------- ---------
> 0x0809 36 1 9.534 9.534
> 0x0808 36 1 9.534 9.534
> 0x0807 36 1 9.555 9.555
> 0x0805 39 1 10.119 10.119
> 0x0803 39 1 10.121 10.121
>
> Nameservers:
> IP ADDRESS # QUERIES # REPLIES
> --------------- --------- ---------
> 10.2.100.2 27603 27600
> 10.2.100.3 1516 1516
>
> Rcode Matrix:
> RCODE ATTEMPT1 ATTEMPT2 ATTEMPT3
> 0 331306 7090 220
> 1 0 0 0
> 2 7834 531 307
> 3 113288 213 4
> 4 0 0 0
> 5 0 0 0
>
> After several "refreshs" the page is showed.
> But if I use browser without proxy enable in IE- pages are showed quickly. The client and proxy server use the same DNS servers.
> What about option to recompile squid with "--disable-internal-dns" and increase "dns_children" ?
> I've noticed that problem usually occurs with sites like google, yahoo.

 If you get 'no address records' for very known sites such as google and
yahoo your intended dns servers are likely to have 'lookup' problems.

 - Check possible use of firewalling and or related problems (setup)
 - Test the intended dns servers directly i.e. :

      % nslookup www.google.com ip.of.dns.server

 - Depending on dns sw. being used check log file of dns server(s);
 watch for errord e.d.

 M.

--
 'Love is truth without any future.