Re: [squid-users] unable to use squid over vpn

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:40:35 +0200

Hugo Bouckaert wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to make squid over a VPN connection, but no matter what I
> try, I can't get it to work. I have squid-2.5-stable-2 installed on a
> RedHat 9.0 machine and from within the office it works fine. However,
> when I make a VPN connection to the Windows domain from outside, I can't
> get squid to work for the connected machine.
>
> The relevant lines I have in squid.conf are this:
>
> acl our_networks src 192.168.2.0/24 10.1.1.0/24
> http_access allow our_networks
>
> where 192.168.2.0/24 is our local network and 10.1.1.0/24 is the VPN
> network connection
>
> earlier on I also have the line:
>
> acl local_lan src 192.168.2.0/24
> http_access allow local_lan
>
> This, I thought, would be sufficient for the local network and the VPN
> to work. However, machines in the local network 192.168.2.0/24 work
> fine with squid (the access.log file lists new entries when machines are
> using squid), but machines connecting through the VPN - with them it
> does not work at all.
>
> How can I make the VPN work with my squid cache server?

 Basically whether the source ip (browser) is coming to squid over
 a vpn connection or not should not make any difference (indeed).
 Because this is networking stuff and unrelated to squid,in a sense
 that indeed again, http_access rule(s) should be correct.

 What do these vpn clients get when accessing squid ?
 Which error message is seen ?

 Basically , to exclude any networking errors perhaps related to
firewalling
 issues try from the vpn node :

 % telnet squid_box squid_port

 That should get you connected, if it doesn't. Other networking issues
 may have to be looked at,return path, routing e.d.

 M.