Re: [squid-users] Re: [SQU] Squid giving page faults

From: <irham@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 03:39:08 +0800

At 10:02 PM 30-07-03 -0400, Adam Aube wrote:

>Please don't post HTML mail to the list - set your mail client to
>send in plain text.

Really sorry..

> >i have go through a lot of document and spent a lot of time browsing to
> >find the truth about Page faults with physical i/o: but still could not
> >find the solid answer and solution and all this very confusing.
>
>I assume you're looking in Cache Manager's "General Runtime Information"
>screen. The "Page faults with physical i/o" statistic is the number
>of times Squid looked for a requested object in memory, didn't find
>it, and had to load the object from disk.
>
>Divide the number of page faults by the "Number of HTTP requests
>received" statistic, then multiply by 100 to get a percentage. Let
>us know what this percentage is - I honestly couldn't say at what
>level one should be concerned.
>
>Disk is slower than memory, so if the number is really high then
>it can impact performance. The solution is to allocate more memory
>for Squid to hold cache objects in (the cache_mem parameter in squid.
>conf).

Thanks a lot for useful info. Yes that info. provided are from Cache
Manager "General Runtime Information". FYI, the percentage is Page faults
with physical i/o / Number of HTTP requests received is 0.29%. The physical
memory is 256 DDR, and the swap cache dir is 5000 16 256. I use aufs, heap
lfuda replacement policy.

Please Advice..