[squid-users] Multiple Cache dir - newbie question

From: Mathew Thomas <mathew.thomas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:13:20 +1000

Hi

I have to set up a couple Squid proxy for our Uni on 2 HP ML530 servers. I am planning to run it on Red Hat 8.0 . The server has got eight SCSI hard disk. I think it has got only one controller. I am thinking of mirroring ( hardware mirror) the first two which will be used by the OS. The rest ( 6 disks) won't be RAID ed and mounted as

cache1
cache2
etc......
cache6

Is the above the best configuration for this server to have best performance? Will multiple cache dir increase the performance? Each disk is 36 GB, so is it a good idea to increase the "Level-1" and "Level-2" numbers?

cache_dir ufs /cache1 30000 64 1024

Thanks in advance for the help.
Mathew