RE: [squid-users] Squid crashing

From: <daniel.jarboe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 07:50:44 -0400

> This looks like a kernel issue, unless your kernel is modified to log
> user space crashes. Have not seen this kind of messages before.

The RH 7.2 s/390 kernel has userspace crashes log enabled. I hope I
won't see many more of these messages ;).

> > Also, is the core written with uid/gid of user (squid?) or root? I
> > assume squid.
>
> The core is written as the user Squid is running as, but only if you
> started Squid as this user in the first place (Linux kernel security
> restriction), and not if you are using aufs (Linux kernel
> limitation).

So let me make sure I understand... if squid needs to bind to
priveledged ports (like 80) it needs to be started by root, and soon
after grabbing the ports will setuid to cache_effective_user specified
in squid.conf. In this configuration, because squid was started as root
and runs as squid, no cores can be generated due to kernel security? If
so, that's unfortunate, the reason we bind to port 80 is because this is
meant to replace an NT proxy server that was configured for 80 (avoid
touching clients).

Do you know of any tricks to allow squid to listen on an interface's
port 80 yet still generate cores? Or what configure or make argument
will have squid built with debug symbols? The only debug configure
thing I saw was for malloc.

Thanks for any help,
~ Daniel

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.