RE: [squid-users] IE5/Win2k/WPAD not working

From: Diego Rivera <lrivera@dont-contact.us>
Date: 01 Aug 2003 07:30:31 -0600

I'm not using DHCP, so rather than fallback they should become the
primary mechanisms, right?

Anyway, I'll be sure to add the parameter to DHCP just in case (even
though it's not being used!).

On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 07:15, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> fre 2003-08-01 klockan 14.49 skrev Adam Aube:
> The other mechanisms (DNS by network, followed by DNS by domain) is just
> fallback mechanisms if no WPAD information was provided by DHCP.

That's exactly my point: DHCP is not being used and not providing the
info, so it should go to failback mechanisms. But it's not even trying
to use the failback mechanisms: packet sniffs confirm that no attempt is
made to resolve wpad.mydomain.com, http logs confirm that no attempt is
made to retrieve http://wpad/wpad.dat, which is what is documented!

Anyway, thanks for your help, and does anyone have any other
suggestions? The reason this needs to work is because some road
warriors use laptops which need proxy while on-site, but don't use it
(proxy) while off-site (thus, the auto-detect setting is crucial to keep
them from having to change configurations).

Best

* Diego Rivera                                            *
* "The Disease: Windows, the cure: Linux"                 *
* E-mail: lrivera<AT>racsa<DOT>co<DOT>cr                  *
* Replace: <AT>='@', <DOT>='.'                            *
* GPG: BE59 5469 C696 C80D FF5C  5926 0B36 F8FF DA98 62AD *
* GPG Public Key avaliable at: http://pgp.mit.edu         *