RE: [squid-users] IE5/Win2k/WPAD not working

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 01 Aug 2003 15:15:39 +0200

fre 2003-08-01 klockan 14.49 skrev Adam Aube:
> > Basically: from the Win2k box's IE5 I can open "http://wpad/wpad.dat"
> > perfectly. Even "http://wpad.mydomain.com/wpad.dat", etc. These in
> > reality point to an apache server.
>
> > Konqueror DOES work with it : set up the autodetect settings - NOT
> > autoconf URL - in the proxy configuration dialog and it does find the
> > script. But IE5 won't!!! Web server logs confirm that konqueror is
> > retrieving wpad.dat whenever it needs it.
>
> These suggestions aren't that great, but if you don't get any others:
>
> 1) Make sure you have the latest service pack for your version of IE
> 2) Try reinstalling IE if you haven't already
> 3) Call Microsoft - it's definitely their problem

Also make sure you have set up the WPAD parameter in your DHCP is your
are using DHCP. The primary WPAD discovery mechanism for MSIE is DHCP.
The other mechanisms (DNS by network, followed by DNS by domain) is just
fallback mechanisms if no WPAD information was provided by DHCP.

This is all documented somewhere in the MSIE and/or MS-Proxy
documentation.

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before